he National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM) is the authority within the United States for access to classified data by government contractors. It sets comprehensive standards to ensure the availability, integrity, and confidentiality of classified information and to prevent its unauthorized disclosure. NISPOM applies to government agencies and commercial contractors that have access to classified data, emphasizing the importance of protecting national security interests.
For more information, refer to the NISPOM manual: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2020/12/21/2020-27698/national-industrial-security-program-operating-manual-nispom
Netsurion Managed XDR for NISPOM Compliance
Netsurion Managed XDR combines SIEM, log management, proactive threat hunting, and guided incident response to effectively meet the requirements outlined in NISPOM compliance. With comprehensive monitoring, analysis, and reporting capabilities organizations can identify and manage their assets, establish access controls, protect resources, and respond promptly to incidents.
By leveraging Netsurion Managed XDR organizations can enhance their security posture, protect classified data, and achieve compliance with NISPOM requirements. This helps ensure the continued availability, integrity, and confidentiality of classified information, maintaining national security interests and meeting the expectations of government agencies and contractors.
Using Netsurion Managed XDR to meet NISPOM Requirements
Automated Audit Trail Creation
- Granular activity records
- Successful and unsuccessful logon and logoffs
- Successful and unsuccessful accesses to files and directories (including creation, open, close, modification and deletion)
Automated Trail Protection
- System activity log protection from unauthorized access, modification or deletion.
Automated Audit Trail Analysis
- Scheduled analysis of activity logs using automated tools
- At least weekly review of audit log records
- Documentation and reporting of security relevant events
Automated Record Retention
- At least 1 year
- Compressed and encrypted
Pre-Defined NISPOM Audit-Ready Reports
- User Logon report – NISPOM Chapter 8 Compliance requirements state that user accesses to the system be recorded and monitored for possible abuse.
- User Logoff report – NISPOM Chapter 8 requirements state that user accesses to the system be recorded and monitored for possible abuse.
- Logon Failure report – The security logon feature includes logging all unsuccessful login attempts. The user name, date and time are included in this report.
- Audit Logs access report – NISPOM Chapter 8 requirements (review and audit access logs) calls for procedures to regularly review records of information system activity such as audit logs.